Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Age 30: The Birth of My Endurance Sports Career

Today is my 31st birthday.  On this date last year, I had yet to complete any of the following races:
  • 10K
  • Half-Marathon
  • Marathon
  • Olympic Distance Triathlon
  • Half-Ironman
  • Ironman
However, over the course of the past year, I have successfully completed them all!

I have no background in endurance sports whatsoever...in fact, up until a couple of years ago, I HATED endurance sports.  I was always a team sports guy: couldn't run two miles, but could chase a ball for hours.  Name a sport and I've played it; however, after multiple knee surgeries, I wasn't able to bounce back from the pounding of jumping & cutting.  An afternoon of pick-up basketball would take me 3-4 days to recover from.  Mornings consisted of me sitting on the edge of my bed, using my arms to push myself up onto my feet.  Not helping matters was the fact that I lifted weights all the time and was fairly heavy for my height.

I decided to start running, which was extremely humbling at first.  While traveling on business in April '10, some co-workers invited me to run with them one morning.  I agreed and set out with them for a 3-mile run.  I suffered the entire time.  I couldn't keep up.  I wished for it to be over with every step I took.  When my Timex GPS watch hit 3-miles and we weren't back at the hotel yet, I began to panic: "I can't do more than 3-miles...where is the fu#$&ng hotel???"  I survived, but more importantly - I kept at it.  Pretty soon I was able to cover 3 miles, then 4, then 5, etc.  Once you establish a certain ability base (say running 3 miles comfortably), running starts to become enjoyable.

Every run is hard, whether it's 2 miles or 12.  But no water tastes as good as the water you drink after a run and no shower feels as good as the one you take after a run.  You feel empty, drained, clean.  My enjoyment from running led to triathlon, which had a similar effect on me.  Honestly, I've never felt better!

So here's my advice:
Whether your goal is a 5K or an Ironman, consistency is the key.
Stay focused, take care of your body, and the results will come!

Age 30 was a tremendous year for me - very excited to see what age 31 will bring!



No comments:

Post a Comment