Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nahant Sprint Triathlon - Race Report

Last Sunday, I participated in the inaugural Nahant Sprint Triathlon.  The race was organized by B&S Event Management, a group who really knows how to put on a multi-sport event because they themselves are triathletes.  The event went off without a hitch and all the participants & spectators had a great time.

Due to the short/shallow swim course, my wife decided Nahant was a perfect venue for her triathlon debut.  Primarily a runner, she added swimming/biking to her training regime in preparation for the race.  An admittedly difficult pupil, Michele likes to do things "her own way," and much like a hippie, she likes to train based on "feel," rather than following a training plan.  But apparently this strategy works for her, because she finished 2nd in her age group & was the 9th female finisher overall.  Very impressive.  Now it's a family affair!

SWIM (1/3 Mile Ocean Swim)
Ocean swim = BRRR.  I wore a full-sleeve wetsuit, but didn't get a chance to warm-up in the water before the race.  I was in the 1st wave and executed a run/dolphin-dive strategy into the water.  Once submerged, the cold water ripped at my lungs, causing me to gasp for breath.  Due to the cold/traffic in the water, I never really got into a rythm during this short swim and I was concerened the entire time about how Michele would fare in these conditions.  I was thankful to see the last buoy.
Swim Time: 9:35 (1:39/100 yards) 

   
BIKE (11.5 Miles - Rolling Hills)
Tried to execute the bike start while keeping my bike shoes clipped-in on my bike, this did not go smoothly.  I had to stop & make some adjustments - I'll need to practice this.  Historically, the bike has been my biggest weakness in triathlon, so I've been really focused on turning that into a strength since IMLP.  Lots of trainer sessions focused on building bike strength & muscular endurance.  I started hammering the pedals & the thrill of ripping through the field kept me motivated for the full bike leg.  No one passed me on the 2-lap course!  The ground was wet and there were several sharp turns, so I had to be cautious, but I really pushed it on the bike.  I came flying down the last hill into T2, so I didn't have a chance to pull my feet out of my bike shoes - I slammed on the brakes and jumped/fell off my bike - fortunately my shoes unclipped in mid-air!
Bike Time: 33:38 (20.5MPH), Avg. Power: 197 Watts

As I ran into transition with my bike, spectators began telling me that I was in 5th place overall...wait...WHAT? 
It turned out that the leader was already out on the course, 2nd & 3rd place were just leaving T2, & 4th place was still in the transition area. 

RUN (3.5 Miles)
As every triathlete knows: it all happens on the run.  I started running out of T2 and up the first hill, clocking a 6:48 first mile.  Solid, but it came at a price...I was gasping for breath and my HR was through the roof.  Since my return to training after IMLP, I've been focused solely on getting my aerobic base back - I haven't done any speed work at all, so holding this pace for long was unlikely...I was on borrowed time.  I battled, but started hemorrhaging time...I was passed by three people during the run and had several more on my heels.  At mile 3, I told myself "that's it - no one else passes you in this race...if they try, make them earn it."  A pursuer was coming up on me - I could hear him breathing - I gave it one last burst and dusted him...I turned the corner to the finish chute, gave my nephew a high-five, and coasted across the finish line.
Run Time: 24:28 (7:00 min/mile)

Total Race Time: 1:09:52
9th Place Overall
3rd Place 30-34 Age Group
*In full disclosure, this was not a deep field - there were tons of races going on Sunday, so there were only 162 competitors - but you can only race who shows up, so that's what I did to earn my 1st top-10 performance in my brief triathlon career!

Triathlon: Now it's a family affair!

No comments:

Post a Comment