Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Misunderstanding

Over Labor Day weekend, I went down to Washington, DC with a group of friends.  We visited the monuments & museums, went to a Jimmy Buffett concert, and caught a Washington Nationals baseball game.  All in all, a great time.

My good buddy Craig organized the whole trip and arranged for us to meet-up with some friends of his who now live in DC.  His buddies were great guys, who happened to be gay.  Now let me be clear: I have zero issues with gay people.  I have several gay friends & I honestly don't care one bit what your sexual preference is.  In fact, I firmly believe that 20yrs down the road, we'll look back how we currently handle gay marriage with the same type of regret that we have when we look back on other historical injustices (i.e. segregation, etc.)

Anyway, we had dinner with the DC crew, did a little pub crawl, and had a blast as one big group.  The next day we rented a large van and headed over to the Jimmy Buffett concert.  Lots of boozing ensued and we ended up making friends with two girls parked next to us.  The girls asked my new (gay) friend Andrew: "are any of you guys single?"  Andrew replied "oh honey, you've picked the wrong group to find a man...there are eight guys in our group and six of us are gay."  Now, I had been drinking, but I was pretty sure that there were only four gay guys in our group, so I figured maybe he just misspoke.  But later I overheard my wife telling Andrew "my husband hates concerts," to which Andrew replied "is that why he didn't come to DC this weekend?"  Confused, my wife pointed over at me and said "my husband is right there." 

"Oh. My. God." Andrew let out...and he proceeded to tell my wife that he had thought I was gay...WITH my friend Mike (also married & not gay).  He explained that he thought this because I was "into my body" and that I "take care of myself."  He thought Mike was gay because he was very well-dressed.  (It's true - his wife dresses him)  He thought we were a couple because we had been "inseparable all weekend and both wearing wedding bands."  Part of me was actually flattered since most of the gay guys I know are in great shape, dress well, and take good care of themselves; however, I do lack the one obvious prerequisite!  I suppose I understand his mistake, but man this dude's "gaydar" was way off.  LOL

Mike & Chuck (not being gay) w/Jen



No comments:

Post a Comment