Monday, August 13, 2012

Back At It

So three weeks have passed since my epic Lake Placid experience.  I took some time off from working-out in hopes that my body would forgive me for all the abuse I put it through over the last eight months.  During my time off, I ate and drank whatever I wanted (basically, I lived like a "normal" person), but honestly that got pretty old pretty fast.  I love training and everything that goes along with it; for me triathlon is a lifestyle.  Most people don't get that, but for those of us that put in the time and effort focusing on training/nutrition/recovery, this really is a lifestyle.

It sounds crazy to say, but due to my extended lay-off - I'm out of shape!  I went out for a few easy runs and apparently now 11:00/mile is my new pace.  Also, I've reintroduced weight lifting to my training (since so many people have felt the need to call me a "skinny bastard" over the past couple of months); however, my return to the weights has been incredibly humbling to say the least.  It's funny when your mind expects you to be able to do what you've always done before, but physically your body just can't make it happen.  To make matters worse, all the jacked-up college kids are home for the summer & back at the gym, so now I feel old & tiny!  LOL

This weekend is the Timberman 70.3 (Half-Ironman) in Gilford, NH.  I'll be making the trip up north to cheer on my training partner Dan & the rest of my QT2 teammates!  I really wanted to race in this one, but honestly my body is just not ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment